Sunday 8 April 2012

How I cope with running abstinence


Apparently it takes a while for me to relax into my time off, when I can't start it with a bang by going running. After spending Friday trying to speed-learn Photoshop in one day, I pulled myself together and decided to make the best of this long weekend. Catch up with all the things I've been neglecting while I've been out running or recovering from it. Things I usually love doing but not as much as running.

So J and I went climbing yesterday, where I failed miserably at achieving anything harder than a 5+. No matter. It was fun and hard work too. Some strengthening exercises for the stomach and back muscles afterwards completed the workout. It was then time to celebrate Easter and the resurrection of Jesus in the most traditional of ways: by eating fajitas (for Hay-Sus) and watching hockey. I also celebrated by finishing my book. I skipped the Easter candy, because I didn't want to get too traditional. Also, there wasn't any left.

This morning I woke up with a purpose. I was a woman on a mission. I was going to make bread. Out came ye ole recipe book. Out came my big IKEA mixing bowl. Out came an assortment of flour, oil, sugar, salt and eggs. I rolled up my sleeves and got started. This is a favourite recipe, mainly because it's so easy and fun to make. Only I replaced the white flour with spelt, which threw off the proportions a bit and had me kneading the dough for 20 minutes.


By the time I was done, I was sweaty and aching in my upper body. Kneading dough is excellent therapy if you're feeling angry and want to punch things. However, I wasn't angry at all this morning, so I kneaded with tender loving care instead. I suspect that I got a good workout from this anyway, so I might have to go and lie down for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Jag förstår dig. Blir också så där oföretagsam när jag inte springer på morgonen. Måste liksom göra något för att det ska bli fart i maskineriet. :-)
    Yoga, vattenlöpning, cykel, styrka funkar också ganska bra och det jag tar till när/om jag inte kan/ska kuta.
    Brödet ser galet gott ut!

    ReplyDelete