Monday 30 January 2012

Just your average Monday morning


Yeah, ok, so I ran a marathon last Saturday, but did I do it comfortably? Am I strong enough to do it and then recover quickly? Nope. My muscles are still wonderfully sore two days later, so the run commute to work will have to wait until tomorrow. I did some core exercises instead.

January has been a good month. Despite a cold that made me miss a few days' running, and despite our holiday in the North that ”forced” me to replace some running sessions with skiing, I still managed to put together a month quantity that's my second best ever (the first being November, with the ultra intervals). But it does kind of bug me that things aren't moving...faster, somehow. I realise I'm being impatient, and maybe a bit too careful, (not to mention that this is a first world problem, and did you know children in Africa are starving?) but planning for ultras means gradually increasing your long run distances (or, rather, your time on the go) considerably. How can I do that if I can hardly walk down the stairs the day after?

Sometimes I torture myself by looking at training programmes and despairing at the huge amounts of time they crave on the weekends (with long runs both on Saturday and Sunday). Other times I get all gung-ho and confident, and don't care at all about what they say, I'm still preparing for this in my own way. Sometimes the ultra looms over me like a mountain, other times I just break it down into segments and see it as a fun adventure. And then I think that I must be the only person in the whole world who gets sore muscles after a marathon.

Yep, that's the kind of things I think about on a Monday morning, right before my work week starts. Pretty normal, really.

3 comments:

  1. JAG tycker i alla fall att du är GRYM!!! Förstår att du har större mål, men wow!
    Och tack snälla för din fina kommentar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina mål för säsongen är att göra under 37 min på 10 km, under 18 min på 5 km och ner mot 1.22 på halvmaran.

    Jag spelade en del ishockey som ung och bara höra när något var dåligt.
    Samma sak i skolan, om jag hade en 4:a så kunde det bli ännu bättre.
    Det har satt sig på min självkänsla och kräver en hel del av mig själv.
    Att ska jag träna så ska det vara givande. Tävlar jag ska det inte vara för att springa runt utan verkligen ge järnet osv osv.

    Förresten, har funderat om du har engelskt påbrå?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Äh, man får gnälla lite.. Jag är arg på att jag inte kan springa snabbare och att det aldrig blir "lätta" ben längre. Känns som om jag aldrig riktigt hinner återhämta mig.
    Tycker lopp som dina är drömmen, men så har jag ju nyss börjat min träning..
    Man har bättre och sämre dagar och jag är megaimponerad över människor som du. Var stolt :) Och sträva framåt. Det är så vi utvecklas! En snabb klapp på axeln och mot nya mål!

    ReplyDelete