Sunday 29 May 2011

Healthy for a whole 3 months? Not so fast...

Huh. I was getting worried that A WHOLE SEASON might go by without me getting sick. A monumental event like this might have thrown the planet off its axis. Now I don't have to worry that the end of the world is nigh or that hell has frozen over. I have honoured my contractual obligation with the universe to get sick at least once per 3 months, and everything is right with the world.

My throat has been irritated for days, but I attributed it to the fact that I did a lot of yelling last Wednesday in order to be heard by the group of people I was addressing. I just thought that I had overstrained my vocal chords. Yesterday's long run went well, despite it being 20 km of hill hell, and it didn't knock me out for the rest of the day like long runs usually do, so I never suspected I was getting sick. Until I sat down on the sofa to watch Stockholm Marathon on TV, when claws started sharpening themselves on my throat. By the time I went to bed, there was no doubt. I was ill.

I have a tough -albeit very short- work week ahead of me. I'm not ill enough to stay at home (I have no symptoms other than my sore throat), yet I'm ill enough to have to stay away from running. With the long weekend coming on, I don't mind the short break that much. I am going to have lots of free days, hopefully sunny ones, to go running. Until then, lots of vitamins, rest, and keeping my head above water at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment