Wednesday 30 March 2011

Spellbound

I put my VFFs in my backpack and jogged towards the woods. Even though there was morning frost on the roof tops, the sun warmed my face. Once my feet left the tarmac and entered the woods, the Kayanos came off and the VFFs took their place. I had only run on tarmac with the VFFs before, so I was very curious to see how they felt on the soft forest paths.


It was magic. I felt like I was floating above the ground instead of running. What impressed me the most was how quiet I was. My backpack rustled a bit, but otherwise I could probably have taken a deer by surprise, if only I had been so lucky as to see one.

I saw a couple of people walking their dogs, but otherwise I had the woods to myself. I ran around the 2 km trail in my VFFs, as close to the softer edge of the path as possible, and then I stopped to switch back to my Kayanos for the return trip home. I was suddenly aware of the bird song symphony happening all around me. Spellbound I listened, almost unable to break myself free of their seductive melody. I wanted to sit on the ground with my back against a tree, and just spend the day in the peaceful embrace of the woods, in the comfort of nature's lullaby.

Turn up the volume:

Unfortunately my mobile camera does not exactly film in HD-quality, but I hope you get the idea.

I reluctantly left the woods and headed back towards the noise of civilisation. I ran to our local bakery and bought some freshly baked bread, still warm from the oven, that soon turned into an after-run snack. I was in heaven.

If only my body would allow it, I would spend the whole day in the woods running.


No comments:

Post a Comment