Monday 24 January 2011

How much is too much?

It was a VFF day today. I walked home from work in my black beauties, as planned, but I thought I'd try jogging too. 3,5 km walk and 1 km easy jog left no impact or ache anywhere on my feet and legs, as far as I can tell. Today. Tomorrow, we'll see.

Well, I am a masochist when it comes to training: if I don't get tired exercising, it doesn't feel like I've gained anything by doing it. Unless it's running, because then the actual run is a reward in itself. So after I came home, I put my yoga DVD in the player and did an hour of yoga. Now I'm tired and satisfied.

Later, however, as I was registering this training on my online log, I saw the awful truth right in front of my eyes: today was the 9th day in a row that I've done some form of exercise. In other words, not a single day of rest since Sunday last week. The exercise was varied: I've gone climbing, I've done strength exercises, I walked in my VFFs, I did yoga, and of course I ran. I feel like I am supposed to have a bad conscience because of this lack of rest, but I don't. Somehow the variation in training makes up for it. Or does it? If I go running one day, and climb the next one, do I not train different muscles? Do I wear my body out, even with alternative training?

I had planned on running to and from work tomorrow, a total distance of 9 km if I take the shortest route. Then swimming on Wednesday, and running / climbing on Thursday. It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't feel like it. Rather it feels like just about enough. Will a rest day on Friday leave me in good enough shape for a "long" run on Saturday, together with our running group? Or should I take an extra rest day? How much training is too much? Is any training too much, when it's so much fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment