Tuesday 21 December 2010

Pre-Christmas dip

There is a cacophony of distracting factors in my life just now, that make my motivation to write wean. Most of them good, like my parents' arrival tonight. Some of them not so good, like my foot not improving.

Through all this, through work troubles, relatives visiting and health worries, my desire to go running is undiminished. The last few days before Christmas and I am tired to my bones, and I can't help thinking that it's precisely because I haven't been out on a run lately that I feel so drained.

The usual demon inside me is whispering that a short run won't make it worse. Life is too short to wait for a minor injury to heal. Go out and have fun, it says. Foot doesn't hurt that much anyway. Imagine running in the woods, in the snow, when there's a full moon in the sky. Feel the freedom and the sense that time has stopped, breathe in the winter air, be at one with nature.

Thankfully, although the distracting factors can't take away my desire to run, they can help me not think about it so much. Don't get me wrong: I'm glad that I am still so passionate about running, while other people's motivation is going into hibernation. Like I wrote in my previous post, I am thankful for every healthy minute, every painless kilometre that I get to run, even if I have headwind, even if it's freezing out there, even if it's dark. I don't take my health for granted. I don't take my "easy" runs for granted.

I will rest at least one more week. In the meantime, family, good food, warmth, Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment