Wednesday 15 December 2010

1400

During one of my running sessions last week I crossed an imaginary finish line. I didn't know it at the time, because sometime last January I forgot to log one or more of my runs on jogg.se., so I thought that there were still some kilometres left. Garmin data imported in Sporttracks, however, shows that I have already crossed the 1400 km mark. That is almost 900 km more than last year. It's 1200 km more than in 2008. Had I realised how dramatically the kilometre amount increased this year, it might have put my current injury into perspective.

My Kayano 16's were bought last May. I got my 17's three weeks ago, after running almost 1000 km in my old ones. Let me repeat this: I've run almost a thousand kilometres since May. Modest by some runners' standards, a monstrous increase by mine. I was ambitious. I wanted to run an average of 200 km per month. That's what felt good, that's how much I thought I could run in order to see progress and not get injured.

My mistake was probably going for longer and longer long-distance sessions. My 10 km runs felt easy, yet long enough to give me a kick. Maybe I should have stuck with them until I had built my foot and leg strength. Well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Soon we're going for a walk in the forest. It will be an interesting test for my foot, that's been taped and stable all day today and yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I've myself have cycled, though only indoors, 1000km these past 3 months...:)

    //Janne

    ReplyDelete